SITEMIX

Kebbi Gov Urges Tinubu To Review Nigeria’s Security Architecture

Kazeem Tunde
3 Min Read

Kebbi Gov Urges Tinubu To Review Nigeria’s Security Architecture

 

Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi State has called on President Bola Tinubu to urgently review Nigeria’s security architecture following last week’s abduction of schoolgirls from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga community area of the state.

The attack, carried out by bandits, left the school’s Vice Principal, Hassan Makuku, and a watchman dead.

No fewer than 25 students were taken away, sparking national outrage and renewed concerns over the safety of schools in the North-West.

Idris made the appeal on Monday while receiving the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, who led a federal delegation to Birnin Kebbi to commiserate with the government and people of the state.

Abbas condemned the abduction, describing it as “a heartbreaking and totally unacceptable assault on our children.”

He said the House of Representatives stood firmly with the people of Kebbi State and urged the government to honour the slain Vice Principal.

“Malam Hassan Makuku died while protecting the children under his care. His sacrifice must never be forgotten.

“We appeal to the governor to immortalise him so future generations will know the price he paid,” the Speaker said.

Abbas announced a donation of ₦20 million to the family of the late Vice Principal and ₦10 million to the family of the slain watchman.

He also prayed for the safe return of the abducted students, saying, “We will not rest until every girl is brought home.”

In his response, the governor expressed appreciation for the visit, but maintained that he was still waiting for answers from the military regarding the security lapses that allowed the attack.

“There is no reason armed men should invade a school and escape without resistance.

“I know my earlier comments ruffled some feathers, but I owe the people of this state the truth. We have supported all security agencies, so when something goes wrong, our people deserve explanations,” the governor said.

He added that the attack was part of a wider threat to Nigeria’s stability.

“With what we are seeing recently, it is clear enemies are attempting to scuttle the democracy we enjoy. That is why I am calling on President Tinubu to review the security architecture of this country,” he said.

Idris also accepted the Speaker’s request to rename the school in honour of the late Vice Principal.

“Malam Hassan Makuku paid the ultimate price. We will rename the school to keep his memory alive,” he said.

The Maga abduction is the latest in a series of school attacks in the North-West, echoing past incidents in Chibok, Kankara, Jangebe, and Dapchi.

Security agencies say rescue efforts are ongoing, though families continue to wait anxiously for the safe return of the girls.

 

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a comment